We added a new practice to our success formula this week, the “Power Pose”.
“Body language affects how others see us, but it may also change how we see ourselves. Social psychologist Amy Cuddy shows how “power posing” — standing in a posture of confidence, even when we don’t feel confident — can affect testosterone and cortisol levels in the brain, and might even have an impact on our chances for success.”
Watch this great Ted talk below by Amy Cuddy, “Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are”.
I found myself doing both the Rocky pose and the Wonder Woman pose OFTEN (like every few minutes) just to feel the exhilaration of the outstretched arms. I did a modified version of the Wonder Woman pose, however, because it reminded me of my mother yelling at me and I did not want to have that feeling/thinking nor did I want to impose that on others. So I would slide one hand down my side and present the ‘feminine pose’ as I call it.
As the week went on I did get to thinking about how this power pose can impact our chances for success and how we can influence all of the Seven Laws of the Mind that we are studying in the MKE program and learning to apply in our lives moment by moment.
This is how I see the Power Pose developing in us the Seven Laws of the Mind (descriptions of each listed below): if we can attach a positive thought to the feelings that the power pose is giving us, we can practice the power pose to substitute negative thoughts in that moment, which can fuelforgiveness to keep the channel clear which will impact relaxation to fuel and feed our subconscious to growour dreams.
- The Law of Dual Thought ~ “Thought is a combination of ideation and feeling. We can attach any feeling to a thought we want.”
- The Law of Substitution ~ “We cannot think about 2 things at the same time. If a negative thought enters your mind – try to think of any fond memory or other pleasant thought.”
- The Law of Relaxation ~ “A relaxed, calm state of mind, is the only doorway to progress mentally. It is the only access to Infinite Intelligence.”
- The Law of Practice ~ “Practice makes perfect. The 5Ps – Perfect Practice Prevents Poor Performance.”
- The Law of Forgiveness ~ “We must forgive everyone to clear the channel to Infinite Intelligence where anger or resentment against another, justified or not, exits.
- The Law of Subconscious ~ “The subconscious works 24-7 to manifest the ideas that you plant.”
- The Law of Growth ~ “Whatever we think about grows. What we forget atrophies without exception.”
“As Amy Cuddy states, don’t fake it till you make it. Fake it till you become it. Do it enough until you actually become it and internalize.”