“What will they think of me must be put aside for bliss.” -Joseph Campbell
“Our first greatest demons we have to face are those critics right in front of us (ourselves and our friends and family). They all mean well, but you know what excites you. You ultimately are the one who holds yourself back from following your bliss because you begin to believe the others around you or you are afraid of what they think. If you can do that—you can achieve the impossible.” – Joseph Campbell
“I want to sing like birds sing, not worrying who listens or what they think.” -Rumi
After watching the movie Finding Joe, I was struck by the idea that finding my own path, not someone or anyone else’s path, was never an option for me up until now. I had always been frightened to take my own path because I needed to fit in so not to be different from others. But now I feel free of those chains even if the road is uncharted, unknown. I GET TO BE ME!
Someone recently asked me what changes I am noticing from being in the Master Key Experience program over the last 18 weeks. Let me re-count the many ways:
- Staying in my own space, not caring what people think of me. It’s like my brain has changed, there is no attention outside my body.
- Master Key Week 18 Lesson 18.33: this week concentrate upon your power to create; seek insight, perception; try to find a logical basis for the faith which is in you. This exercise this week is shifting my perception from ‘who am I’ to what is my foundation and is it really mine or have I just taken it on because all those programs I’ve taken over the years convinced me to.
- The greatest salesman in the world is being myself, passionate about being in service. Last weekend, I was asked to share the growth I experienced from a yearlong leadership program. I wasn’t scared, I spoke from my feminine self. People started to say what I was known for. I got people interested in what I’m passionate about. AND they asked me to share my story again the next day.
- An interesting phenomena has occurred, piano practice has become easier. I hadn’t practiced for almost a year until last week. I actually remembered the exercises easily that I’d taught myself last year and did them naturally with both hands. I originally practiced only with my right hand, being left handed, wanting to train my right hand. Now all of a sudden I can play with both hands without previous practice!!!!!!! Something is happening to my brain.
- Happy no matter what. Even when I am upset I still have a foundation of happy. It is a feeling of joy and contentment. I can’t stay upset for long.
- AND THERE ARE MANY MORE CHANGES I’VE NOTICED.
MY NEW PATH — I Grant Myself Permission From My Soul:
- To listen
- To surrender
- To be open and willing
- To fulfill my destiny
- To accept the call
- To be present, intentional with every moment forwarding the action that would make a difference in the world
- To strain my potential until it cries for mercy
MASTER KEY EXPERIENCE PROGRAM DAILY PRACTICES FOR THE PAST 131 DAYS:
- 3 Gratitudes
- 2 Random Acts of Kindness
- 1 sentence mini journal – positive experience
- Sit in Silence
Below is the explanation of these practices as presented on the video TEDxBloomington – Shawn Achor – “The Happiness Advantage: Linking Positive Brains to Performance”
- If you can raise somebody’s level of positivity in the present, then their brain experiences what we now call a happiness advantage, which is your brain at positive performs significantly better than at negative, neutral or stressed. Your intelligence rises, your creativity rises, your energy levels rise. In fact, we’ve found that every single business outcome improves. Your brain at positive is 31% more productive than your brain at negative, neutral or stressed. You’re 37% better at sales. Doctors are 19 percent faster, more accurate at coming up with the correct diagnosis when positive instead of negative, neutral or stressed.
- We’ve found there are ways that you can train your brain to be able to become more positive. In just a two-minute span of time done for 21 days in a row, we can actually rewire your brain, allowing your brain to actually work more optimistically and more successfully. We’ve done these things in research now in every company that I’ve worked with, getting them to write down three new things that they’re grateful for 21 days in a row, three new things each day. And at the end of that, their brain starts to retain a pattern of scanning the world not for the negative, but for the positive first.
- Journaling about one positive experience you’ve had over the past 24 hours allows your brain to relive it.
- Exercise teaches your brain that your behavior matters.
- We find that meditation allows your brain to get over the cultural ADHD that we’ve been creating by trying to do multiple tasks at once and allows our brains to focus on the task at hand.
- And finally, random acts of kindness are conscious acts of kindness. We get people, when they open up their inbox, to write one positive email praising or thanking somebody in their support network.
- And by doing these activities and by training your brain just like we train our bodies, what we’ve found is we can reverse the formula for happiness and success, and in doing so, not only create ripples of positivity, but a real revolution.